We are making progress with Alaska being the next Interstate Compact member and we need your help once again!
Our Compact bill (SB 75) is continuing to the next level of hearings.
We are asking AKSHA members to write letters to show support. Please include the following:
The following is a sample letter that you can use to show support of this bill:
Dear Senator Bjorkman,
I am writing to you in support of SB 75 (Audiology, Speech & Language Compact).
I currently serve: (tell a little about yourself and how you serve Alaskans)
The speech and hearing Compact, when enacted, will provide benefits to Alaskans with speech and hearing disabilities and the Speech- Language Pathologists and Audiologists in the following ways:
- Allow for Alaskan businesses to fill vacant positions for speech-language pathologists and audiologists in a timely manner, therefore attracting and retaining eligible candidates.
- Provide continuity of care when a client or therapist has relocated without interruption of service delivery due to licensing delays and expenses.
- Deliver services with higher consumer protection for Alaskans with the compact ensuring that acceptable standards of practice are met, promoting cooperation between compact states in the areas of licensure and regulation, requiring background checks for all applicants and requiring that all speech-language pathologists and audiologists practicing in Alaska must follow Alaska’s practice regulations.
- Replace the need for speech-language pathologists and audiologists to become licensed in other states when attempting to continue care with their out of state clients.
- Increases the ability to provide therapy services to Alaskans with speech and hearing disabilities in underserved areas of the state.
(please include a personal story of how this could have benefited you, your clients or other providers that you know. Personal stories help to draw a picture and create better understanding).
Thank you for your consideration of SB 75,
Thank you for spending some time in supporting your state association and the people who practice in your field!
If you have any questions or concerns, please contact:
Nancy Lovering at email@example.com
Andrea Toth at firstname.lastname@example.org